Recorder Ruckus: Tascam DR-05 vs. Zoom H1



Today on DSLR Film Noob we get a great comparison of two competing budget digital audio recorders, the Tascam DR-05 and the Zoom H1. The price point for both is $99 and Deejay gives us a great rundown of the pros and cons of both models. A recorder is an indispensable tool and this is a great comparison of the two most affordable models that are made for production use (not adapted like a voice recorder).

I own the Zoom H1 and have been very happy with it. I use it for all of my VO work and the quality is surprisingly good, even with a cheap microphone. I do concur, however, that the build quality is lacking. I would not want to drop or step on one of these. The Tascam looks better in almost every department except size and weight, which could be important to if you're going to make your talent wear one. I also like Deejay's point about the shape of the microphone area. I can see how a dead cat windscreen would fit much better on the H1 than one would on the DR-05.

Wherever you decide to spend your $99, I don't think you can go wrong. These both look like great options and though I can't vouch for the Tascam model, I would have no problem gambling on the purchase. Thanks Deejay!

Comments